The best advice that i could ever really give to anyone is to ” Stick to what you do, if you are passionate about it” and care for non as long as you know its not going to affect you or someone else’s life.
It was one of my greatest flaws that i listened to others when it came to blogging and freelancing and was anxious to receive any positive feedbacks from them. No doubt i was encouraged by good people who believed in creativity and were optimistic towards life. But most of the times it always ended up with sarcastic views from the conservative people of Quetta. I cant blame them either because of the lack of knowledge many had about these two fields. People barely knew anything about blogging or freelance and rather thought of it as an absurd activity ! “How could you share your life on the internet ? How can you write all that ? So whats the benefit of all that ? Log kiya kahayengay (What will others say? ), ..” *Sigh*. Pity that i don’t have enough practical evidences to praise this city for anything good.
Who Encouraged me back to this Life ?
What brought back my encouragement was when i met my husband who knew how blogging can not only make you write and learn but also earn a decent income ! Something what he was already doing through Adsense before we got married. For sometime i tried to ignore this part of my life until it was him who thought i should continue what i always wanted to do. Girls in our area are confined to the perception that ” You will end up like a caged bird when you are married, i turned out to be the opposite.” The free will for doing whatever i wanted with regard to my professional career led to start back my blogging and freelancing career.
How It started
Its almost 4 months to my pro-freelance life and for one lazy and inconsistent person like me , i am pretty satisfied with the result. I started with peopleperhour , waited for the approval of my profile which was denied twice because of my own non serious minor mistakes and begin writing proposal for small jobs and got them approved quickly by using some proposal particular tactics (Which i would teach soon) and received earnings straight to my account without even bothering about going out. Simultaneously, I went back to my old Elance account and updated it. Within the span of one month my level in People per hour increased to 3. and i was able to charge high for every next project because of my credibility in the website and the positive feedback i was receiving.
When i realized that i was not having anymore projects from peopleperhour in the same month and my limited proposal credits were exhausted, i switched to Elance and got hired by a client who decidedly wanted someone for a long term job that was somewhat related to my own field of Economics. It was about the UK Taxation system for which i had to assist the client. I learned enormously! and I am paid $15/hour. So a 2-3 hours of job with 5 days a week and weekend to enjoy is enough for me. It also enabled me to fulfil my commitments towards my married life and the responsibilities of handling my home. Obviously ! You have to be a good wife if you know that you have a good husband. *winks*.
So in 40 days i came to know that i already had a six figure income in my account (More than half of which i have already spent, psh psh psh …I dont want my husband to read this line ). The regular flow of earnings brought more motivation and concentration over what i was doing and infact it is growing even more…
I would like to suggest some factors to all those individuals out there who are so really tired of freelancing and are not able to succeed or to those who think freelancing doesn’t works. Let me tell you ! “Everything works if you “WORK HARD” over it !”
- On the top is what i said already , Stick to what you want to do , You can generate six figure income in a day or a week. The word patience is what i find in every other posts of successful blogger. so relax and keeping doing it what you are good at.
- Either you send proposal in Elance, peopleperhour, odesk or any other earning platform, provide a service in which you are good at. And if you aren’t good at anything . Than learn to be good at something you love to know about. Its just all about your own interests and concentration towards it. Look at me ! who would end up writing a blog post at this time !!!! ( Its 4am in the morning)
- Try finding long term clients instead of short-term. The fact that you can never figure out which client will bounce back and ask for another task to do . But you can guarantee that by putting your best effort in that particular project. In the beginning you may even do more than you are paid for. This is were the word CREDIBILITY comes. Your clients started trusting you because of the effort you put over their work ! Considering it a responsibility and following your commitments. Because freelancing isnt just working the “WORK”rather working, communicating, negotiating and dealing with real individuals from any part of the world. This requires a careful attention in providing your services.
- Dont be too greedy when it comes to earning. You dont have to pressurize yourself just because now you know you can earn at home easily without going out and turn out to be sleepless for days and night by taking numerous project. Your work effeciency and focus on 1-2 projects would probably be more productive than working over 5-6 or even more than that. Also, there should be no feeling of guilt that you arent doing enough. If i can give an hour or 2 for freelance without affecting my schedule for the rest of the important things to do (which also includes my leisure time to relax and go out)…..Than i am being fair with my life !
- Finally, dont forgot about improving your knowledge about the existing service that you are providing. You shouldnt stick to what you have already learned. Every field is diverse and its not that easy to become an expert. Sometimes it may take years to be an expert in a single domain. I have been studying about freelancing, reading the blog of other successful bloggers, ebooks and taking online courses for constant improvement. And believe me ! Your motivational level reaches to the peak when you read practical examples of others success…
A single post is just the tiny tiny part of the freelancing journey that i have just started. But enough for this post today….